A New Double-Track Stop Emerges in Plzeň Thanks to Railway Line Rearrangement

04.04.2018

Today, Správa železniční dopravní cesty (SŽDC) festively launched the third stage of Plzeň Junction modernisation. During the construction of the so-called Domažlice Line Rearrangement, the association of companies Swietelsky Rail CZ and Swietelsky stavební will build within a period of 23 months a new double-track railway line in the area of the current stop Plzeň-Skvrňany. In Domažlická Street, the road I/26 will be relocated outside the residential zone.

”The currently launched construction is somewhat different compared to the previous two stages. This time, it will be a sort of combination of modernisation, reconstruction and extension of current transport infrastructure, both for the railway and the road mode“, said Mr. Mojmír Nejezchleb, Deputy Director General of SŽDC for Infrastructure Modernisation.

”For us, this construction is the biggest commission within Czech railway civil engineering up to now. It allows us to use high expertise, our own machinery and technology for railway and road construction“, said Mr. Viliam Perknovský, Secretary and Commercial Director of Swietelsky Rail CZ. This company owns a 72% share in the Swietelsky Uzel Plzeň association. The remaining 28% share is owned by its sister company Swietelsky stavební which deals with road and land constructions.

”The most demanding phase will be the “rearrangement” reconstruction as such where three lines and three bridges are going to be reconstructed on three height levels at a single spot practically without interrupting operation during the majority of works“, said Mr. David Sichrovský, Construction Director of the Swietelsky association. Works will be completed in Autumn 2019 while a new relocation of the Domažlická road with an overpass will be built up to the end of this year.

This challenging project includes also building the railway stop Plzeň-Skvrňany in a new position on the relocation. Embankment and anti-noise walls will be built as well as signal footbridges, the catenary, signalling and safety equipment. A new road will also be built, the streets Na pile, Na výspě and Domažlická will be reconstructed. Břeňkova Street will be affected as well.

Works at the most important railway junction in the region should be completed in October next year. Upon its completion, modernisation of the rearrangement together with previous stages will allow a faster running of trains through Plzeň. Moreover, the completion will be followed in the future by an investment called Modernisation of the line Plzeň – Domažlice – state border. All of this will substantially accelerate transport from Prague to Bavaria and provide it with higher capacity.

The project Junction Plzeň, Stage 3 – Domažlice Line Rearrangement is co-financed by the EU from the Connection Europe Facility Programme (CEF). The total estimated amount of construction costs equals CZK 1,626,975,465. The EU support rate is je 71.63% from eligible costs; therefore the subsidy amount equals EUR 35,761,031 at maximum, i.e. approximately CZK 993,870,576. The association of companies Swietelsky Uzel Plzeň won the tender with a sum of CZK 1,084,873,302.

 

Construction Designation Junction Plzeň, Stage 3 – Domažlice Line Rearrangement
Construction Investor Správa železniční dopravní cesty, státní organizace
Suppliers Swietelsky Rail CZ
Swietelsky stavební
Designer SUDOP PRAHA a.s.
Term of launch 11/2017
Term of completion 10/2019
Total construction costs CZK 1,626,975,465 (VAT excluded)
Approved EU contribution CZK 993,870,576

Note:
The author of this publication only shall be liable therefor. The European Union shall not be liable for any utilization of information contained therein.

 


Files

Press release to download pdf

Reception (Prague)
Phone:+420 222 335 711
(ONLY Mo–Fr 7:00–15:00)

  Mail us
More contacts

epodatelna@szdc.cz Copyrigtht © 2009 SŽDC, s.o.